Central Subway construction will take place on this block of Columbus Avenue near Washington Square Park.
Construction associated with the Central Subway tunnel will begin August 13 in North Beach. The work involves relocating utility lines on a half-block section of Columbus Avenue between Union and Powell streets.
The Central Subway tunnel is planned to extend past the last station in Chinatown to North Beach. When tunneling is complete, the tunnel boring machines (TBMs) will be removed from the ground on Columbus Avenue. The utility work is expected to take approximately four months to complete and is required to prepare for construction of the TBM retrieval shaft.
Surface construction activity will take place on Columbus Avenue between Union and Powell streets, with some work at the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Union Street. Construction hours will be Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. To mitigate construction impacts, street sweeping will occur on a daily basis, dust and noise will be monitored and controlled, and a traffic control officer and a flagger will facilitate the flow of traffic during work hours.
This map shows the approximate location of construction in North Beach.
North Beach Construction Plan: Key Details
- Starting August 13, the contractor will perform potholing within the construction zone. Relocation of a fire hydrant water line, Muni overhead contact system (OCS) line, low-pressure water line and AT&T duct bank will follow.
- Construction of a TBM retrieval shaft is planned to begin in early 2013 and continue for approximately 10 months. The retrieval shaft will be constructed on Columbus Avenue between Union and Powell streets. During this time, traffic on this section of Columbus Avenue will be reduced to one northbound lane and one southbound lane.
- After the retrieval shaft is constructed, it will be covered with decking and all lanes of traffic will be restored.
- The TBMs will be retrieved in 2014 after tunneling is complete. When the TBMs are removed, traffic will be temporarily impacted.
- No Central Subway construction is planned to occur in North Beach after the TBMs are removed in 2014.
Details about the upcoming utility relocation are as follows:
- Location: Columbus Avenue between Union and Powell streets, and Union Street between Powell Street and Columbus Avenue.
- Construction hours: Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Transit impacts: The bus stops on Columbus Avenue at Union Street will be temporarily closed one at a time.
- Traffic: No more than one lane of traffic will be closed at a time, and all lanes will be opened at the end of each work day.
- Street sweeping will occur daily on work days.
- Parking restrictions will be in effect.
- A traffic control officer and flagger will facilitate the flow of traffic during construction hours.
- Dust will be monitored and controlled, noise will be kept within required decibel levels, and noise attenuation devices will be used on construction equipment.
More information about is available in the following documents:
- 10-Day Construction Notice
- North Beach Utility Relocation Fact Sheet
- Press Release: Central Subway Project to Start Utility Relocation in North Beach August 13
We appreciate your continued patience while construction is in progress.