During the next 10 days, tunneling and tunneling preparatory work will continue in SoMa, Union Square and North Beach. Work to prepare for station construction is continuing in Chinatown and northern SoMa. In southern SoMa, preparatory construction is planned to start the week of Nov. 18 (details below).
This section provides overviews of current and upcoming construction impacts in each neighborhood. For full descriptions, click here or on the links below. We also post construction, traffic detour and Muni impact information on our project Google Map.
- New: We plan to begin potholing for utilities the week of November 18, on 4th Street between Bryant and King. This involves drilling holes and trenches in the street to confirm the locations of existing utility lines. Work hours will usually be Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. More details are in the Southern SoMa section and in this construction notice.
- Continuing: 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant may fully close some evenings and weekends. Two lanes of traffic will remain open at all other times. On Bryant Street at 5th Street, the left lane and several parking spaces will remain closed. One lane of the I-80 off ramp at 4th and Bryant may be closed at night to allow for utility work.
- Upcoming: Starting in 2014, additional construction will begin on 4th Street south of Bryant. Work includes relocation of several utility lines, construction of light-rail tracks and construction of an above-ground train station at 4th and Brannan. Impacts will vary during different phases of construction and on different blocks.
- New: None
- Continuing: The two right lanes will remain closed on 4th Street between Howard and Folsom. South of Clementina, the sidewalk on the west side of the street is closed. To ensure safety, pedestrians should use the sidewalk on the other side of the street and cross the street at 4th and Howard.
On 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, the parking lane and one lane of traffic on the east side of the street will remain closed to allow for ground improvement work.
4th Street between Market and Stevenson is reduced to two traffic lanes so we can improve the ground as the tunnel boring machines pass below. The work zone is on the east side of the street, in front of Ross. A temporary taxi stand is in place just south of Stevenson.
- Upcoming: After completing preparatory work, we will begin building the Yerba Buena/Moscone Station in the coming months.
- New: We have completed construction of underground walls on Stockton Street and will be restoring the roadway over the next weeks. We expect to reopen Stockton Street the week of November 18.
- Continuing: Stockton Street between Geary and Ellis will remain closed to vehicle traffic next week. Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell will remain closed to westbound traffic.
- Upcoming: Construction of the Union Square/Market Street Station is starting next year. We will provide more information soon.
- New: Washington Street between Stockton and Trenton may close to vehicles and pedestrians the week of Nov. 18. This closure will allow us to relocate utilities and build an underground station wall in this area. The closure is expected to last for approximately two years.
On Stockton Street, the sidewalk in front of 933-949 Stockton is planned to reopen next week.
- Continuing: Building demolition at 933-949 Stockton Street is nearing completion. The contractor continues performing utility work on Stockton at Washington, and on Stockton between Sacramento and Washington. Expect parking impacts around construction zones. One lane of Washington just west of Stockton will remain closed.
- Upcoming: Within the Chinatown Station site, we are performing archeological surveys and environmental assessments in preparation for station preparation next year.
- New: On Saturday, November 9 and 16, construction will take place within the Pagoda Palace property. Work hours on the 9th are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Work hours on the 16th are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
For some weeknights next week, the contractor will install monitoring equipment on Powell, Columbus and Union near Marini Park. A small work zone will be set up around the contractor’s truck, and traffic will be diverted around it. Work hours will be 7:30pm to 5am. Please contact Andrea Baker at 415-351-8427 with any questions about the specific schedule.
- Continuing: At the Pagoda, construction hours will usually be Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., though later work hours (until 7 p.m.) and Saturday work may be required. Parking and walkways may be impacted in front of the Pagoda Palace property.
Utility work will continue at and near the intersection of Columbus Ave and Union Street. This work will complete the utility relocation started last year. More details are included in the North Beach section and in this flier.
In the Bank of America parking lot at 1455 Stockton, crews are constructing a shaft 20 feet in diameter and 27 feet deep, for use to improve ground conditions when the TBMs pass beneath Columbus Avenue. The parking lot will be closed but the banking drive-thru will remain open. Work hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Upcoming: The tunnel boring machines arrive in North Beach in spring 2014. After tunneling beneath Columbus Avenue, they will arrive at the old Pagoda Palace site for removal from the area.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.
-The Central Subway Team