This week we demolished the gas station that stood at the future Yerba Buena/Moscone Station site. Seen from above, the site is now graded. In a few years, the station entrance will stand here.
During the next 10 days, tunneling and tunneling preparatory work will continue in SoMa, Union Square and North Beach. Work to prepare for station construction is continuing in Chinatown and northern SoMa.
Construction impacts are planned to change at these locations by October 28:
- Chinatown: In Chinatown, we are demolishing the building at 933-949 Stockton Street and performing utility work on Stockton between Sacramento and Jackson. Temporary partial street closures will be required along Stockton Street as utility work progresses. Parking will also be impacted, and temporary bus stop relocations will be required. We will post notification of temporary bus stop locations. The sidewalk adjacent to 933-949 Stockton will remain closed to pedestrians, and one lane of Washington Street may be closed just west of Stockton Street. Night work may be required.
- Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): One lane of 4th Street between Mission and Howard will be closed until early next week to allow for installation of monitoring equipment. On 4th Street between Howard and Folsom, the two right lanes will close to traffic starting the evening of October 18 as we begin preparatory work for station construction in the roadway To set up this traffic pattern, work hours tonight are 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. The sidewalk south of Clementina will close to pedestrians during this phase of construction. On 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, the parking lane and one lane of traffic on the east side of the street will remain closed to allow for ground improvement work.
- North Beach: On Monday, October 28, we will begin work at and near the intersection of Columbus Ave and Union Street. This work will complete the utility relocation started last year. More details are included in the North Beach section and in this flier.Early in the morning on Tuesday, October 22, we will deliver a large crane to the Pagoda Palace site. This should take about an hour, starting around 4 a.m. Traffic on Powell Street may be impacted. A pedestrian monitor will be on site to direct pedestrian traffic.
At other times at the Pagoda, we will continue to prepare for construction of a retrieval shaft to remove two tunnel boring machines. Construction hours will usually be Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., though later work hours (until 7 p.m.) and Saturday work may be required. Parking and walkways may be impacted in front of the Pagoda Palace property.
At these locations, current construction impacts are planned to continue until October 28:
- Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry): 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant may fully close some evenings and weekends to allow for the installation of tunneling components and piping. Two lanes of traffic will remain open at all other times. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the closure schedule. On Bryant Street at 5th Street, the left lane and several parking spaces will remain closed. One lane of the I-80 off ramp at 4th and Bryant may be closed at night to allow for utility work.
- Union Square: Stockton Street between Geary and Ellis will remain closed to vehicle traffic. Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell will remain closed to westbound traffic.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.
-The Central Subway Team