Pedestrians cross the street near the Union Square construction site.
During the next 10 days, construction to prepare for tunneling will continue in SoMa and Union Square. No Central Subway construction is planned in Chinatown or North Beach.
Construction impacts are planned to change at these locations by June 3:
- Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): On 4th Street between Market and Stevenson, the sidewalk and two traffic lanes will remain closed on the eastern side of the street except from 8 p.m. Thursday, May 30, to 6 a.m. Friday, May 31. At that time, three lanes will be closed. Two lanes of traffic will remain closed on 4th Street between Howard and Folsom, but the traffic configuration may change (details in the Northern SoMa section). Construction will be underway this Saturday, May 25, and Sunday, May 26, on this block.
- Union Square: Construction will be underway this Sunday, May 26, from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Stockton Street between Geary and Ellis will remain closed to vehicle traffic. Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell will remain closed to westbound traffic.
At these locations, current construction impacts are planned to continue until June 3:
- Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry): Full closure of 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant will continue on some evenings and weekends. Two lanes of traffic will remain open at all other times. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the closure schedule. On Bryant Street at 5th Street, the left lane and several parking spaces will remain closed.
- Chinatown: No construction planned
- North Beach: No construction planned before June 3, but demolition of the Pagoda Palace is scheduled to begin in June. For more information, check out this construction notice.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.