02 July 2010 ~ 27 Comments

Public Art Proposal Display from July 9-16

SFAC_Centr_Sub_bg_vertCongratulations to the 19 prominent national and local artists and artists teams competing for the Central Subway Public Art Program. Proposals for two permanent public artwork opportunities each at the Chinatown, Union Square/Market Street and Moscone Stations will be on view at the Chinese Culture Center, Contemporary Jewish Museum and Weinstein Gallery from July 9 through July 16.

For the Chinatown Station landmark artwork, artist Ming Fay developed a proposal of a large colorful glass mosaic that draws inspiration from the evergreen pine forests of California and the Gold Mountains in the Bay Area. Yu Mei Hou’s landmark design proposal incorporates traditional Chinese paper cut art based on traditional Chinese folk tales, and May Sun’s proposal consists of a large wall artwork incorporating both archival and current photographs of Chinatown, with insets in the adjacent floor area. For the wayfinding artwork, Carl Cheng’s proposal will take transit riders on a walk through an underground Chinese garden. Using architectural glass elements, Tomie Arai will create a site-specific visual narrative about the history of the area surrounding the subway station. As riders move through the different layers of the station, they will be able to experience this narrative in much the same way as an archeologist might sift through layers of history to uncover the past. Yunfei Ji’s wayfinding proposal is based on the Chinese hand scroll that will weave its way through the station telling the story of Chinese-American’s participation in the building of America. Lastly, Faye Zhang proposes a series of mosaics on several level that reference moving water, as passengers move through the station.

At the Union Square/Market Street Station the candidates for the landmark artwork include Brian Goggin whose design consists of a glittering canopy of metal and glass inspired by the sand dunes that once were in the Union Square location. Ilya and Emilia Kabakov’s landmark proposal children gazing down at a hidden world located somewhere below the floor. The final candidate for the Union Square/Market Street Station landmark artwork is Erwin Redl. Inspired by the famous Beatles song “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” Redl proposes a ceiling grid of hanging 10” x 10” “light pixels” with shifting colors in a diamond shape pattern. For the wayfinding artwork, Michael Davis and Susan Schwartzenberg’s proposal includes overhead lighting with imagery of large-scale historic gatherings in Union Square and a series of artifacts imbedded in the walls that reveal little known historical stories from the downtown area. Keith Godard’s proposes floor mosaics depicting historic bird’s eye views of Union Square beginning in 1776 and continuing to the present day. The artist team Jim Campbell and Werner Klotz propose to create an undulating three-dimensional ribbon that spans the length of two station levels.

For the Moscone Station landmark artwork Brian Tolle’s proposal draws a parallel between the ebb and flow of passengers in the train stations and San Francisco’s famous fog. Using state of the art technologies, he will create molded panels that depict single moments of a surface seemingly in motion. Joyce Hsu’s landmark proposal combines concepts based on San Francisco’s estuarine system as a bird refuge with mankind’s drive to look towards the sky for better mobility. Her design presents commuters with a flock of jet-packed flying devices with bird-like wings against a backdrop of a dreamlike sky. Catherine Wagner’s design incorporates large photographs she took in the late 70s documenting the construction of Moscone Center. For the wayfinding artwork, Tom Otterness has proposed a series of humorous sculptural vignettes featuring his signature bronze characters as transit riders place throughout the station. Mildred Howard’s wayfinding artwork proposal consists of laminated glass panels featuring archival images that appear and disappear as passengers walk past them and that are intended to take transit-users on a journey through time. Michele Oka Doner is proposing a multi-level series of floor insets, elevator designs, and sculptural elements that reference sunlight and other natural phenomena.

We hope to see you at the public art viewing!

Exhibition Locations and Operating Hours:

Central Subway Public Art Program Manager Judy Moran will be available to answer questions from the public at a Q & A session at each of the three proposal display sites, see below for more details.

Chinatown Station
Chinese Cultural Center
750 Kearny Street
Operating hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Q&A with Project Manager Judy Moran: Saturday, July 10 from noon to 2 p.m. on the Pedestrian Bridge that crosses Kearny Street from Portsmouth Square to the Chinese Culture Center in the Hilton Hotel.

Union Square/Market Street Station
Weinstein Gallery
291 Geary Street, 2nd Floor
Operating hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
Q&A with Project Manager Judy Moran, Monday, July 12 from noon to 2 p.m.

Moscone Station
Contemporary Jewish Museum
736 Mission Street
Operating hours: Monday-Tuesday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Wednesday, closed; Thursday, 1-8 p.m.; Friday-Sunday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Q&A with Project Manager Judy Moran: Tuesday, July 13 from noon – 2 p.m.

Be Sociable, Share!

27 Responses to “Public Art Proposal Display from July 9-16”

1. Gry-lotto.com 26 April 2015 at 1:40 am Permalink

I’m not tht much of a online reade to be honest buut your blogs really nice, keep itt up!I’ll ggo ahead and bookmark your website to come back lter on. Cheers

Feell free to visit mmy blog Gry-lotto.com

2. Technical Manuals 14 May 2015 at 3:35 am Permalink

Great post,Thanks

3. The face shop 29 May 2015 at 11:35 am Permalink

Well put, sir, well put. I’ll cearitlny make note of that. http://malata.biz

4. ?????? ?? 21 June 2015 at 8:17 pm Permalink

You are my intake , I own few blogs and sometimes run out from to post .

5. Julian 27 June 2015 at 1:10 pm Permalink

:-)

6. www.mommiesplayground.com 9 July 2015 at 7:27 pm Permalink

You have brought up a very fantastic details , thanks for the post.

7. Avenir Energie 8 November 2015 at 9:25 am Permalink

Thanks to share.

8. Siu Cottingham 16 November 2015 at 12:40 am Permalink

Warning ! Warning ! It’s probably not true.

9. bandarq 7 December 2015 at 9:24 pm Permalink

Very interesting info!Perfect just what I was searching for!

10. asikqq.co 11 December 2015 at 1:47 am Permalink

I like this site so much, saved to my bookmarks. “Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.” by Peter De Vries.

11. agen poker online 19 December 2015 at 10:18 pm Permalink

Some truly fantastic info , Gladiolus I found this. “Carthago delenda est. (Carthage must be destroyed.)” by Marcius Porcius Cato.

12. Felipe 21 December 2015 at 1:29 am Permalink

I love you to, but i then found out from a previous girl that he had slept with that they were sieeng one another and he use to tell he loved her all the time. We were on holiday this summer and were both ill with a travellers diarrhea and we had antibiotics and when we came back he said he was still ill and he went to the doctors and had tests and they said he had a bacteria infection caused by food and when I said I will claim on the insurance or the hotels insurance he got very angry about it and said he had no doctors notes or proof coz he threw it all away and then he was like I don’t want you to claim and got in a mood. This same week he had 700 pounds taken out of his back account and I quizzed him coz I had this done to me in the past and I asked him what the bank had said. He said that they weren’t really doing much about it, even tho he had shown them proof he didn’t spend the money and he said he doesn’t think he will get it back! He said he travels around to different countries with work and when we first got together he said he might be going to china, but this never happen, then he said Siberia and this never happened. He Recently told me he was going to china with work for 3 weeks so when he was meant to be there I rang his company up and he was in England and when I said could I speak to Andrew ****** the project design manager, they said “what? Who are you after? “. Which seemed weird to me. I confronted him about the china thing and he said im going tonight the flight was cancelled they hadn’t got back to us about us going even tho he had told me the week before it was all finalised. Then later on in the conversation he told me he was going the following week, but he didn’t. He also said you have to write an invitation to be aloud to go into china from england on business is this true? We had arranged to go the cinema one night and he blew me off to go clubbing with his mates and gave me lots of excuses. One being he couldn’t go to the cinema with me on the thursday coz he had to work early in the morning on the Saturday, other wise people might lose there jobs and as I live 40 minutes away from him he would have to have left mine in the morning so wouldnt have managed to get to work. That morning I rang him and he was still in bed! I have since broken up with him because he cheated on me for a second time. He did it once before where he was sending flirty texts to a girl (texts sent over a few days) he use to see and he told her he was in Sweden with work and made up this complicated stuff he had to do over there for work, but he was in england with me. He was also arranging to meet up with her one weekend. I fogave him for this and he said he wasn’t a cheater he would never cheat and he wasn’t really going to meet up with her. His excuse for this was that he was mad from an argument we had had that day and he has never ever had an argument in his life not even with his parents or siblings. Then everything was ok until I found more flirty messages from another girl and he was flirting with her so I rang the number and she said they had been to the pub quiz together and had kissed and were texting all week. He admitted to this but said she had kissed her but she says its the other way around. Andrew also said he doesn’t fancy her he just did it.and she had just working at started working at that pub that week, but I know for a fact she started in may because I have since talked to the other bar staff there. I broke with him there and then, but after this I rang him to gets answers to why he did it and because stupidly I would have taken him back because I missed him so much (I am sooooo thankful tht this did not happen) He said he wasn’t sieeng this girl and he hasn’t seen her or been to the pub with her because of his medison, then later he changed his story and said they went to the pub in a group. I found out from a friend of mine that knows this girl well, that they didn’t stop texting when we broke up and they went to the cinema not the pub. And she is now not having any of what I say because Andrew w(I missed the end off) This girl doesnt believe me he was cheating on me with her, because andrew told her we had broken up ages ago and has got his brother to lie for him. But she is young and very naive so is taken in by his lies as like me it was what I wanted to believe in even tho I always took it with a pinch of salt. I am concerned that he may have something wrong with him, to lie so much and I think he may believe his own lies. He also told me he loved me more than anything in the world, but I guess that was another one of his lies.Oh and he told me he didn’t like blondes and didn’t fancy small girls, and hates rock and emo music and people ,but the second girl he cheated on me with was small, 5ft3 and has blonde hair and a rocker/emo.Sorry for the essay lol!Could this gut have something wrong with him?Do you not think he could have something wrong with him tho like that compulsive lying thing?

13. Very good career on this article! We really like how you presented your details and just how you’ve made it interesting and simple to comprehend. Thanks a lot.

14. Should not your comment "him" coaching, have been "his" coaching?You picked on a very obvious grammatical error but missed the less obvious one. Stick to your knitting mate, which you do really well.Er, if this comment gets through it will be a wonder considering that your "are you a robot" visual is so difficult to see. Why is that? mara

15. http://www.rab-jeric.com/ 30 April 2016 at 5:58 pm Permalink

Esra’a:at least in israel, the bahai are very successful and we can enjoy their gardens and presence.Unfortuantely, right now the mandaeans are being ethnically cleansed in iraq (though some may survive in iran) and the assyrians are having it very bad as well.

16. car insurance quotes 4 June 2016 at 7:35 am Permalink

Para o João Silva que diz"Eu vi o meu pai  a mamar …" e que pergunta " … gostavas de ver o teu qota ali mamar e tu sem nada poderes fazer?"envio os meus sinceros sentimentos. Deve ser de facto triste…Compreendo agora as razões de muito do comportamento dos adeptos do bitória. E fico também a compreender as origens do nome GAYMARÃES…

17. http://www.npcartridge.com/ 5 June 2016 at 5:56 pm Permalink

You’ve really impressed me with that answer!

18. Agora só falta o Loução vir comer-lhe à mão!Na realidade, quanto mais se afunda o país mais depressa os ratos da oposição abandonam o navio.A continuarmos assim, só um tacho na Europa nos livrará de Sócrates, O José – Imperador do Reino dos Parvos(pequenos, baixos,…é Latim!…)Um abraço.

19. auto insurance 19 July 2016 at 2:56 am Permalink

Hey Stephen!!!That’s a good point: I’m writing as if I think every thinking person agrees that a woman should divorce an abusive husband, but actually it’s a pretty recent (and still controversial) position.

20. Maybe this is a no brainer, but it is “stuff” like this that should be kept…even if it stays in the back of a closet, it is history. In this case, newspapers don’t take up much space. What to keep and what not to keep is always a challenge for simpler living, the decision to keep even a single newspaper should not be taken lightly.

21. party 3 September 2016 at 6:49 am Permalink

What’s up all, here every one is sharing these know-how, so it’s nice to read this website,
    and I used to pay a visit this website all the time.

22. definition of the term insurance 4 October 2016 at 12:09 pm Permalink

see yaher last line is where my eyebrows twitch – I want an effective coherent organization that produces actual results.Well ummm if these provinces walk away from the EC and do there own thing it is pretty dang hard to create an effective and coherent organization!!! If people want change for the better then stick with it and work on the change from within not from without.sigh.If they walk away there is never going to be an organization where everyone can work together.And personally we need only ONE national body in the horse world.

23. http://www./ 24 October 2016 at 2:52 am Permalink

Would love to see how he and Alonso could work here in Seattle. Benny would have to take a pretty big pay cut though, and we already have some considerable decisions to make regarding our roster…

24. auto insurance wausau 26 October 2016 at 5:21 am Permalink

eddig sem csak az USA volt jelen Dél-Amerikában, vannak USA-val kifejezetten ellenséges államok is, nem hinném, hogy Obama elnök ettől lett rosszulTetszik / Egyetértek: 0 Az értékeléshez be kell

25. Naples video production 9 March 2017 at 7:12 am Permalink

hi!,I like your writing so so much! share we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your article on AOL?
    I require an expert on this space to solve my problem. May be that’s you!
    Taking a look ahead to see you.

26. parkercoloradohousesforsale.com 22 March 2017 at 2:32 am Permalink

It’s awesome for me to have a web page, which is good
    for my experience. thanks admin