In the new tunnel, two crewmen watch as a cart approaches, carrying with it tunnel segments for TBM Mom Chung to install.
During the next 10 days, tunneling and tunneling preparatory work will continue in SoMa, Union Square and North Beach. Work to prepare for station construction is continuing in Chinatown and northern SoMa. In southern SoMa, preparatory construction is planned to start next week.
This section provides overviews of current and upcoming construction impacts in each neighborhood. For full descriptions, click here or on the links below.
- New: We plan to begin potholing for utilities next week on 4th Street between Bryant and King. This involves drilling holes and trenches in the street to confirm the locations of existing utility lines. Work hours will usually be Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Next week, the potholing crews will be on the eastern side of the street and the eastern sidewalk. More details are in the Southern SoMa section and in this construction notice.
- Continuing: 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant may fully close some evenings and weekends. Two lanes of traffic will remain open at all other times. On Bryant Street at 5th Street, the left lane and several parking spaces will remain closed.
- Upcoming: Starting in 2014, additional construction will begin on 4th Street south of Bryant. Work includes relocation of several utility lines, construction of light-rail tracks and construction of an above-ground train station at 4th and Brannan. Impacts will vary during different phases of construction and on different blocks.
- New: Tentative: Perform sewer surveys on Folsom near the intersection with 4th Street.
- Continuing: 4th Street between Market and Stevenson will be reduced to two traffic lanes so we can improve the ground as the tunnel boring machines pass below. The work zone is on the east side of the street, in front of Ross. A temporary taxi stand is in place just south of Stevenson.
The two right lanes will remain closed on 4th Street between Howard and Folsom. South of Clementina, the sidewalk on the west side of the street is closed. To ensure safety, pedestrians should use the sidewalk on the other side of the street and cross the street at 4th and Howard.
On 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, the parking lane and one lane of traffic on the east side of the street will remain closed to allow for ground improvement work.
- Upcoming: After completing preparatory work, we will begin building the Yerba Buena/Moscone Station in the coming months at 4th and Folsom.
- New: We have completed construction of underground walls on Stockton Street and will be restoring the roadway over the next weeks. We expect to reopen Stockton Street next Thursday, Nov. 21.
- Continuing: Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell will remain closed to westbound traffic.
- Upcoming: Construction of the Union Square/Market Street Station is starting next year. We will provide more information soon.
- New: Washington Street between Stockton and Trenton may close to vehicles and pedestrians the week of Nov. 18. This closure will allow us to relocate utilities and build an underground station wall in this area. The closure is expected to last for approximately two years.
On Stockton Street, the sidewalk in front of 933-949 Stockton is scheduled to reopen Monday, Nov. 18.
- Continuing: Building demolition at 933-949 Stockton Street is now complete. The contractor continues performing utility work on Stockton at Washington, and on Stockton between Sacramento and Washington. Expect parking impacts around construction zones.
- Upcoming: Within the Chinatown Station site, we are performing archeological surveys and environmental assessments in preparation for station construction next year.
- New: On Saturday, November 16, construction will not take place within the Pagoda as previously planned. However, the contractor will be on site performing maintenance on their machine.
Starting Monday, Nov. 18, construction hours at the Pagoda will be extended. Hours will usually be Monday to Saturday, 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. The longer hours are required to ensure this work is complete in time for the TBMs to arrive at the site.
- Continuing: At the Pagoda, parking and walkways may be impacted in front of the Pagoda Palace property.
Utility work will continue at and near the intersection of Columbus Ave and Union Street. This work will complete the utility relocation started last year. More details are included in the North Beach section and in this flier.
In the Bank of America parking lot at 1455 Stockton, crews are constructing a shaft 20 feet in diameter and 27 feet deep, for use to improve ground conditions when the TBMs pass beneath Columbus Avenue. The parking lot will be closed but the banking drive-thru will remain open. Work hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Upcoming: During the holiday season (Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day), utility construction will pause at and around the intersection of Columbus and Union. The contractor will start this work again in January 2014. To ensure we are prepared for the arrival of the TBMs next year, work will continue through the holidays on private property within 1731-1741 Powell Street and the parking lot of 1455 Stockton Street.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.