Central Subway construction has started in Chinatown. The first work involves relocating and improving utility lines and demolishing the building at the future station site.
During the next 10 days, tunneling and tunneling preparatory work will continue in SoMa, Union Square and North Beach. Work to prepare for station construction is continuing in Chinatown and northern SoMa.
Construction impacts are planned to change at these locations by October 21:
- Chinatown: In Chinatown, work to prepare for station construction will continue in and around 933-949 Stockton. One lane of Washington Street may be closed just west of Stockton Street. Several parking spaces will be closed near the intersection of Stockton and Washington and adjacent to the future Chinatown Station site (933-949 Stockton). The sidewalk adjacent to the building will remain closed to pedestrians.
- North Beach: At the Pagoda Palace site, we are continuing to prepare for construction of a retrieval shaft to remove two tunnel boring machines. Construction hours will usually be Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., though later work hours (until 7 p.m.) and Saturday work may be required. Parking and walkways may be impacted in front of the Pagoda Palace property.
At these locations, current construction impacts are planned to continue until October 21:
- Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry): 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant may fully close some evenings and weekends to allow for the installation of tunneling components and piping. Two lanes of traffic will remain open at all other times. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the closure schedule. On Bryant Street at 5th Street, the left lane and several parking spaces will remain closed. One lane of the I-80 off ramp at 4th and Bryant may be closed at night to allow for utility work.
- Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): On 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, the parking lane and one lane of traffic on the east side of the street will remain closed to allow for ground improvement work. On 4th Street between Howard and Folsom, one lane will remain closed to traffic south of Clementina. Demolition of the 76 gas station is in progress.
- Union Square: Stockton Street between Geary and Ellis will remain closed to vehicle traffic. Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell will remain closed to westbound traffic.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.