During the next 10 days, Central Subway work continues at sites in SoMa, Union Square, Chinatown and North Beach. This post contains brief updates about recent construction activities and a look-ahead for what to expect in each neighborhood. For more detailed information click here or on the links below. You can also find construction, traffic detour, and Muni impact information on our project Google Map.
Schedules may change due to unforeseen conditions. We encourage the public to follow all traffic and pedestrian notifications posted at the work sites.
Southern SoMa (Harrison to King): Construction crews are relocating and installing new utilities along 4th Street from Bryant to King streets.
- On Bryant Street between 4th and Zoe, installation of a sewer scheduled to start Sept. 22.
- On 4th Street between Brannan and King:
- Sewer line cleaning continues.
- At Bluxome Street, installation of an AT&T vault scheduled to start Sept. 22.
Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): Construction crews are building walls and replacing a water line along 4th Street from Howard to Folsom streets. Replacement of a sewer line along 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison is scheduled to start Oct. 1.
- On 4th Street between Howard and Folsom:
- Traffic reduced to one traffic lane.
- At Clementina Street, closure to through traffic.
- At Folsom Street, replacement of water line continues.
- On 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison:
- Replacement of sewer line on the east side of 4th Street.
- Parking will be impacted in the vicinity of the work area.
Union Square: Construction crews are excavating the site, building station walls and relocating utilities along Stockton Street between Ellis Street and Maiden Lane.
- On Stockton Street between Ellis and Post:
- Ellis Street to Geary Boulevard, closed to vehicular traffic.
- At O’Farrell Street, reduction to one traffic lane.
- Sidewalk closure scheduled overnight 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. for the next few weeks.
- At Geary Boulevard, reduction to one traffic lane.
- The crosswalk on the south side of Geary Boulevard is temporarily closed.
- Muni service impact: Bus stop at Geary Boulevard and Stockton Street temporarily discontinued until early October. Board bus on Geary Boulevard at Powell Street.
- On Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell:
- Ellis Street is temporarily closed to westbound traffic.
Chinatown: Construction crews are building station walls and installing new utilities at 933-949 Stockton Street between Clay and Washington streets.
- On Washington Street between Stockton and Trenton:
- Street is closed to through traffic.
- On Washington Street between Stockton and Spofford:
- Replacement of water pipeline continues.
- Installation of a new fire hyrdrant continues.
North Beach: Construction crews continue to remove the remaining tunnel boring machine (TBM) and restore the site.
- 1731-1741 Powell:
- Removal of TBM continues.
- On Columbus Avenue between Union and Filbert:
- Installation of street lighting and sewer cleaning scheduled to start Sept. 24.
We thank the businesses, residents, shoppers, and commuters of San Francisco for their continued engagement with this significant investment in the extension of our public transportation system.