About 80 feet below Ellis Street, we’re installing pipes into the ground around this shaft. We’ll use the pipes to inject grout into the ground, improving soil conditions near the existing Muni and BART tunnels.
During the next 10 days, construction to prepare for tunneling will continue in SoMa and Union Square. No Central Subway construction is planned in Chinatown or North Beach.
Construction impacts are planned to change at these locations by June 24:
- Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison): Two lanes of traffic will remain closed on 4th Street between Howard and Folsom, but the traffic configuration will change (details in the Northern SoMa section). Construction will be underway on Saturdays until further notice. On 4th Street between Market and Stevenson, the sidewalk and two traffic lanes will remain closed on the eastern side of the street.
At these locations, current construction impacts are planned to continue until June 24:
- Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry): Full closure of 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant will continue some evenings and weekends. Two lanes of traffic will remain open at all other times. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org you have questions about the closure schedule. On Bryant Street at 5th Street, the left lane and several parking spaces will remain closed.
- Union Square: Stockton Street between Geary and Ellis will remain closed to vehicle traffic. Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell will remain closed to westbound traffic.
- Chinatown: No construction planned
- North Beach: No construction planned before June 24, but demolition of the Pagoda Palace is scheduled to begin in June. For more information, check out thisconstruction notice.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco’s public transportation system.